I don’t know about you, but sometimes it’s hard for me to get going on a Monday. Even though I work on the weekends, it’s not as structured as during the week because the kids aren’t in school and we’re running all over the place. So for me, weekends are usually more exhausting than workweeks.
I know you moms out there feel me on that!
So after I kick the kids out the door to school, have sucked down my 4th cup of coffee, and still don’t feel like doing anything except watching my downloaded episode of Real Housewives of Atlanta, I have a few tricks that can get me going.
- Pre-planning. This is actually something I do on Sundays. I find it’s that much harder to get going on Mondays if I haven’t planned out my week/day. Being able to open my planner (yes I do still love old fashioned paper and pen) and have the tasks that need to be done staring me in the face takes the guesswork out of things and I can dive right in.
- Do something fun. I am normally an advocate of Eat that Frog by Brian Tracy, which talks about doing that big, important, challenging and maybe undesirable task first. Get it out of the way so you no longer have to worry about it. However, if I’m having a hard time motivating myself I will do one of the easier, more fun tasks just to get into the work groove.
- Don’t work. If I’m feeling especially sluggish I’ll go to yoga or for a run. Something to get my body going and my blood flowing. Then I come back and work. I can make up the work time I missed later and I find I’m much more productive.
- Chat with a friend. I know this might sound like goofing off, but having a peer whom you can call/text/email/Facebook/ tweet (you get it) and say “HELP! I need some mojo,” can get your butt in gear. Share your goals for the day and tell them to check in on you periodically and make sure you’re not napping.
- If all else fails just take a nap. The work will still be waiting when you get up. Ok, I realize this tip probably isn’t all that helpful but sometimes a girl’s gotta do what she’s gotta do.
What do you do to get yourself going on Mondays?
Download The Top 4 Things You Need to Know to Make a Living as an Author